Saturday

Siamese Crocodiles

Goal alignment is important in any organization. In a business, the goal is to increase profit. In a nonprofit, it should be to provide social return on investment. When people decide to push their own agenda or do something for the glory they'll receive later, trouble happens! In any organization, it is easy for pride to slip in and for people to decide they want to do something their own way even when supposedly fighting for the same goal.

A certain Adinkra symbol (initially a warning against tribalism) is called Funtunfenefu Denkyenfunefu, the double-headed crocodile. It means "the Siamese crocodiles share one stomach, but fight over food." It is also a symbol of unity.



Even more common is for someone to complain about the way things are being done and the person who is doing them that way without providing a viable alternative. We live in a world of complainers. Bosses complain about workers, workers complain about bosses. Likewise, in families parents complain about children and children about parents and spouses about each other. The goal for all is to have a happy family.

I needed something to remind me not to complain if things are moving slower than I like, or someone has a different view about how pay should work, or if somebody spends a lot of money without informing me expecting to be reimbursed. I want to avoid both criticizing others and acting defensively when I am criticized. That is why I am stealing another Adinkra symbol to be my own personal logo.

It is called Bi Nka Bi (Bite Not Each Other) and is supposed to look like two fish biting each other.



It means: "You talk, I talk. You bite me, I bite you. All leads to big trouble for all."

No comments:

Post a Comment